Deciding which stranger to confide in is no fun and reading someone’s resume isn’t going to help. So here’s what I’m like as a person and how that translates to what I’m like as a therapist – because that’s what you really want to know.
Karissa the person
I talk fast, swear a moderate amount, and believe everyone can benefit from having good therapy in their life because I think what happens in good therapy is what should be happening in all our relationships. I have a husband, fur babies, a real baby, and 47 house plants that I mostly remember to water.
Karissa the therapist
I’m great at working with women who are secretly miserable and confused about why because I’ve been there too. Your path through will be different than mine, and I can’t do your work for you, but I’m a solid companion to have along the way because I get it and I won’t therapist bullshit you.
The best way to tell you what you can expect in therapy is to tell you what you’re not going to get from me:
- Advice – I’m won’t be making any recommendations or suggestions for what you should do. Instead, I’ll help you notice connections between past experiences and in-the-moment thoughts and feelings and get that shit ironed out once and for all.
- Quick fixes – I believe depth-oriented, long-term therapy creates the most lasting change, and my work with clients reflects that. We won’t be doing a bunch of worksheets or journaling prompts. Instead, most of my “homework” focuses on cultivating awareness about your thoughts and feelings and healing the relationship you have with them.
- Immediate or permanent warm fuzzies – honestly, therapy is hard work and I’m not gonna lie to you – therapy is probably gonna make you uncomfortable by bringing up feelings you’ve spent a lot of time avoiding. In my office, I will help you shift from turning away from difficult things and instead, turn towards them. It’s not as scary as it sounds though – you already have within yourself whatever it takes to deal with whatever is going on in your life. I just help you find it.
- Answers – I ask way more questions than I provide answers because honestly, it’s better for you.
- Someone to tell you what to do or make decisions for you – I just won’t do it! I will, however, help you discover what YOU want to do in order to meet your goals for your life.
Ready to figure out why everything sucks when nothing is wrong? I’m here for it. Schedule your free, 20-minute consultation now.
Master’s in Mental Health Counseling | Licensed Professional Counselor in MO | Executive Director of Creve Coeur Counseling Associates